Problems Installing Microsoft Office 365 Suite / Project
Are you having problems installing Microsoft Office 365?
1. Manually Remove Any Preinstalled Office BundlesFollow the steps here:
In summary this requires you to:
- Remove Office using the Add/Remove Programs dialog in Windows
- Optionally use the Microsoft Easy Fix tool (see attached file Office Removal Tool.diagcab) or download from the above link
2. Uninstall the My Office Bundle
- Search for the “Add or Remove Programs” control panel
- If present, select and uninstall the “My Office” entity which seems to be often pre-installed on new PCs
3. Try Again
- Ensure the device has a reasonable internet connection ideally 10Mbps+ download
- Log into portal.office365.com using an account with a valid Office 365 licence
- Follow the links to download desktop apps
- Follow instructions to install, it should take no longer than about 30 minutes
4. Download and Use The Offline Installer
See the instructions here:
Deployment tool is linked to this document; the instructions are a little imprecise, you need to run the EXE file and then extract the files into C:\ODT – if that folder does not exist you need to create it.
The XML file you are instructed to make in Notepad is also linked to this document; note that this will download the English version of the Office 365 Suite Business Retail suite and the XML may need changing if you have different requirements. This is suitable for any Office suite licenced on an Office 365 Business or Business Premium subscription.
It takes about 30 minutes to download the full suite. The command prompt window shows no progress indicator and simply disappears when the download is complete.
After the download is complete you need to trigger the install via the command line / Run dialog, there is no EXE file in the downloaded bundle. This is all shown in the above linked instructions.